Saturday, February 2, 2013

Teriyaki Thai Cabbage Salad



Today I was inspired to create a meal simply by glancing into my fridge and finding a beautiful head of cabbage. (Honestly, I had to create something with it or I'd simply starve!) In the past I have had Thai lettuce wraps and absolutely loved them so I decided to clean out the veggie drawer and use what I had to create this oh so tasty meal. Even my nephew, who is so pro-meat, enjoyed this a bunch! (Of course when he asked if this was a fake meat dish, I simply replied it was a vegetable dish.  So I left out the meatless ground answer for now but fessed up after receiving his compliment on how good it was! I'm so sneaky that way!)
This is how I created it but this veggie dish is a canvas that can be added to, using any veggies you'd like.

Teriyaki Thai Cabbage Salad

Ingredients~
12 oz package Yves Veggie Cuisine (Tm) Meatless Ground
Shredded Cabbage, as much as you'd like.  It's best to have twice as much as the meatless mixture
1/2 cup finely diced yam
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup finely diced orange bell pepper
1/4 cup finely diced peanuts
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder or fresh garlic pulverized
1/4 to 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce or marinade
2 Tbs sesame seed oil
1 Tbs sesame seeds (oops, forgot them in my picture)
 
First I diced all my veggies while the sesame seed oil was getting nice and hot.
 
I sauteed the yams first until slightly tender. 
 
 Then I added the celery, bell pepper, peanuts and sauteed a few minutes more. I added the meatless ground, onion powder, garlic powder and teriyaki starting with a 1/4 cup and adding a little more each time until all veggies were coated and I cooked the mixture until it started to caramelize. 
 
 
 To plate, I put a handful of cabbage onto the plate and added a scoop of mixture on top.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and eat. Yummo!

No comments:

Post a Comment